Sunday 26 July 2015

Da Capo [4]

Oh well... let's sleep in...

I rolled over to get more comfortable.

...

The sound of the town... was getting... further and further away...

Junichi: Yawn... I slept well...

I raised my body off the bed and stretched.

Junichi: .........

Let's get up.

I got up cheerfully, got dressed, and opened my bedroom door.

Junichi: I wonder if Nemu woke up yet.

She was neither upstairs nor downstairs.

Junichi: Hmm?

There was a small pink note left on the table.

'Niisan, I feel better, and I'm going out with Miharu today.'

Junichi: Nemu...

She should be resting, especially just after being ill.

Junichi: (It looks like she is feeling better.)

Junichi: I better go for a walk and eat something...

I stuffed my wallet into my pocket, and headed to the front door.

~

It's good to take a walk in the city on Sunday afternoon. Feels refreshing roaming around just by myself.

Although having said that, if somebody was by my side, it'd be great.

Like a cute girlfriend.

Junichi: Woo... Brrr...

Though spring is around the corner, February wind still freezes my body. People walking in the streets are still wearing winter clothes.

Junichi: Shoot... It's freezing...

I guess I dressed too light for the weather.

Junichi: ...Could I have someone knit  sweater for me...?

With useless thoughts, I walk around the main strip browsing at a CD shop and a book store.

.........

......

...

Hatsune Island is peaceful as usual.

Junichi: Oh, I'm bored...

I think about going home, but I kind of want to stop at some more places since I came out all this way.

Junichi: Humph...

Junichi: Let's see, why don't I hit the park...?

~

In April, the TV says "cherry blossoms in full bloom make you feel like the middle of Spring". But not on this island.

There is a countless amount of falling cherry blossom petals in the park.

Junichi: ...How strange not to see anyone.

As I expcted, there are only a few old people taking a walk.

It's boring to take a normal walk, so I decide to take a detour and walk into the cherry woods.

The strong smell of cherry blossom tickles my nose. When I accidentally touch the trunk of a tree, it feels cold and wet.

When I look up, there's just a sheer pink shroud covering the sky.

Junichi: ...Okay, I think I'm going to that spot.

There was a place I called a secret base when I was a kid near here.

Of course, it's nothing to a grownup's eyes.

But it was an immensely important place for a kid.

Junichi: Yeah... I gotta visit.

As I mumble, my feet are already on the way there.

Cherry blossoms in full bloom.

There's the huge trunk of a tree, I can't even imagine how old it is.

It overwhelms people while it caresses them with warmth.

Junichi: ...Whoa, it still amazes me.

I guess I saw this in a dream...

Smell of the blossoms.

Blowing winds.

A petal that sticks on my lips.

Those elements overwhelm me in reality much more than in any dream.

Junichi: Huh...?

I hear someone singing near.

Junichi: ...A song? In a place like this?

Could it be a fairy singing? What a stupid thought to come into my mind.

While I'm in such an odd place, the beautiful voice takes my breath away.

It must be a foreign song. I can't catch the words, but the melody is clear and beautiful.

Junichi: Who could it be?

Right there -- I walk around the tree.

A girl is singing in the falling cherry blossoms, her hair swaying in the wind.

I'm paralysed.

As I think this is how being nailed feels, I can only listen to her voice.

.........

......

...

Kotori: ...Eh?

Junichi: ...Ah?

Like humans who found each other on the Planet of Apes, we just stare at each other.

Her singing stops, and I can only hear the echoes in my ear.

Junichi: .........

Kotori: .........

Kotori: Hey...

Junichi: Huh?

Kotori: How long have you been standing there?

Kotori: ...I lose track of time when I'm singing.

She giggles and knocks her own head lightly.

I can't believe it's the same person who was singing with such confidence.

Junichi: For about three days.

Kotori: ...What?

Junichi: .........

Kotori: ...Oh, you're joking.

Kotori: So, how long really?

Junichi: Well, I guess just a few minutes.

I actually lost my sense of time while listening, so I'm not really sure.

I don't think it was an hour, anyway...

Kotori: That song is ten minutes long.

Junichi: What?

Kotori: So, I don't think you've been there for more than ten minutes.

Junichi: Oh, I see. I thought you noticed me when you were finishing.

Kotori: Right.

She smiles brightly. Her smile gives me an irresistible urge to rub her head.

Rub, rub

Kotori: ...Ow, woa-woa. Wh-What are you doing? All of a sudden?

Junichi: I saw a cherub on top of your head.

I straighten her hat while saying so.

Junichi: All right, you're fine now.

Kotori: ...A cherub? Is that some kind of sweets...?

Junichi: No, no.

Kotori: .........

Kotori: S-Sexual harassment?

Junichi: ...No, it was just a joke.

What is this playfulness in our conversation?

Feels like playing a catch with a tennis ball.

Junichi: You don't remember me, do you?

I wouldn't do such a thing to a stranger.

Kotori: What...?

I feel a bit sad at her reaction. It's sad to be forgotten.

Junichi: Well, we met at that Christm...

Kotori: Oh, yeah, that Christmas party.

Kotori claps her hands before I finish my sentence.

Kotori: Mr. Not-a-big-deal.

Junichi: Oh... you remember the details well.

Kotori: I have a good memory.

She gives a thumbs up.

Kotori: But, why didn't you tell me your name back then?

Junichi: I suffered a temporary memory loss.

Kotori: That sounds horrible...

Junichi: .........

So... Kotori doesn't get jokes...?

Kotori: Mmm.... You're hesitating so much... is it that you don't want to tell me your name...?

Junichi: .........

Junichi: Asakura. Junichi Asakura.

Kotori: Asakura-kun.

She gives another thumbs up.

Junichi: And you're Kotori Shirakawa.

I give a thumbs up, imitating her.

Junichi: I can call you Kotori, right?

Kotori: Sure... Achoo.

Kotori shivers.

Kotori: I think my body got cold because I was singing for a long time.

Kotori: So, I think I'm taking off.

Junichi: Oh. You finished singing?

I wanted to hear more of that beautiful voice.

Kotori: Sorry... I get nervous when somebody's watching...

Junichi: I see. I understand.

Kotori: Well, then. See you.

Junichi: Uh-huh. See you later.

Kotori leaves, snuffling.

Junichi: .........

Junichi: ...I should take off too.

~

Nemu: Welcome home, niisan.

Nemu was already home and watching the TV.

Junichi: I'm home.

I sat down on the sofa as I spoke.

Junichi: Where did you go today?

Nemu: I was just hanging out with Miharu at her house and went to eat crepes at the crepe stand at the park.

Junichi: I see...

Nemu: Anyway, niisan... I have something for you.

She handed me a big box with a strange smile on her face. It was big enough to fit a volley ball inside.

Tick tock, tick tock, tick tock...

Junichi: ...A bomb?

Nemu: Why would I buy something like that?

Junichi: Well, for relieving your stress?

Nemu: I wouldn't do that...

Nemu: If I did that, the explosion will affect me too.

Junichi: .........

I better not leave her side.

As I thought that half seriously, I opened the box.

There was something round inside.

Junichi: ...What's this?

Nemu: An alarm clock.

Junichi: What?

I could hear it ticking when I picked it up.

Junichi: Why is it... round?

Nemu: Oh, that's because it'll roll away from you when you try to turn it off.

...What?

Nemu: It has a sensor to detect you trying to touch it, then it rolls away.

...What?

Nemu: Good luck, niisan!

Watching her big smile made me happy too...

Junichi: (Not----!)

Never mind. It's just an alarm clock. It can't be that hard to catch it.

Nemu: Anyway. Would you like to go out for dinner tonight?

Junichi: Hmm? I don't mind.

Nemu: Yay!

Junichi: We shouldn't really.

However, I'm already hungry, and it'll be too much work to go buy something to eat and bring it back. I wouldn't mind if Nemu goes.

But obviously it'll be me who has to go...

Nemu: So, where are you taking me?

Junichi: ...Hey.

Nemu: Yes?

Junichi: Why do I have to buy you dinner?

I asked the question to her being 'cheeky'.

Nemu: Um... that will be 10,000 yen, including the handling charge.

Junichi: Excuse me?

Nemu: For the alarm clock.

Junichi: .........

Nemu: .........

We looked at each other with smiles on our faces.

Junichi: Shall we go now? It's my treat today.

Nemu: Thank you, niisan.

She took my hand like a princess and stood up.

~

Junichi: That was an unexpected expense.

I took a bath and lied on the bed.

Actually, the dinner didn't cost much more than take-out food... and today wasn't a bad day.

I was lucky to see Kotori.

Considering that, buying dinner for Nemu who doesn't eat very much, is nothing.

I also got a new alarm clock today.

I grabbed the round thing by my pillow.

Junichi: .........

~

Junichi: Nemu, where can I find a roll of duct tape?

Nemu: What? It's in the drawer there.

I found the roll of duct tape inside of the drawer Nemy pointed to.

Junichi: Thank you.

I put the rool around my wrist and spun it while walking back to my room.

~

Junichi: ...That should do.

I taped the round alarm clock to the bed.

Junichi: Ha-ha... now it's under my control.

I sneered, while sitting on the bed.

Junichi: I think I'll set the time.

[Choice]
- 6:30AM
- 7:00AM
- 7:50AM

No comments:

Post a Comment