Friday 20 March 2015

Da Capo II - Shirakawa Nanaka

Shirakawa Nanaka

Yoshiyuki: Let's see... I don't have anywhere else to go, so I guess I'll go home.

It was an exhausting day because of Amakase.

On days like this, the best thing to do is just go home.

Nanaka: La, la, la.

Yoshiyuki: ...Hmm?

Nanaka: La, la, la.

Somebody was singing.

There were still some students left in the hallway, and it was noisy.

Yet, I could hear it.

It was such a pure and clear voice.

Yoshiyuki: Where's it coming from...?

I started to walk while following the voice.

Nanaka: La, la, la.

Yoshiyuki: .........

When I followed the voice, I ended up in front of the music room.

It was a singing voice, so it was natural that I'd end up there.

Yoshiyuki: Maybe it's someone staying late to rehearse?

The door was open.

I peeked inside.

Nanaka: La, la, la, la, la.

...It was Shirakawa Nanaka.

She was called the academy's idol because she was cute, stylish, and a great singer.

All the male students were in love with her.

I'd never really talked to her before, but I knew how popular she was.

Even so...

Yoshiyuki: I've heard about her singing, but she really is a great vocalist.

She was singing a cappella, with no accompaniment, and yet she was carrying perfect pitch.

She was even hitting high notes and making subtle key changes.

It was amazing.

Nanaka: ...Eh?

Yoshiyuki: Ah!

Our eyes met.

Suddenly, Shirakawa stopped singing.

Nanaka: .........

Yoshiyuki: ...Ah.

I didn't know what to do, so I applauded.

Yoshiyuki: Wow, that was great. You sounded wonderful.

Nanaka: ...Umm.

Yoshiyuki: Sorry, I was fascinated by your singing.

Nanaka: Yoshiyuki-kun.

Yoshiyuki: Eh?

Nanaka: Sakurai Yoshiyuki-kun. Right?

Yoshiyuki: Err... How do you know my name?

Nanaka: Tee-hee. I wonder...

Shirakawa said, smiling innocently.

Wow. What a bright smile. No wonder all the boys are in love with her.

Nanaka: You stand out in many ways, Yoshiyuki-kun.

Yoshiyuki: Ah, ahahaha... I-I guess.

The faces of my two best friends came to mind.

Indeed, we'd wound up causing some kind of trouble at every school event.

Not only the teachers, but the student council and the public morals committee kept an eye on us.

I guess that makes me famous? I'm not exactly proud of it, though...

Yoshiyuki: And you are... Let's see, Shirakawa... san.

Nanaka: Nanaka.

Yoshiyuki: Eh?

Nanaka: You can call me Nanaka.

Yoshiyuki: Well, ah...

Nanaka: Na-na-ka.

Yoshiyuki: Okay then, Nanaka.

Nanaka: Good, good job!

She smiled.

What a strange girl.

The most popular girl in all of Kazami academy was actually really nice.

I had an impression of her as being snobby and spoiled...

Nanaka: So, what were you doing, Yoshiyuki-kun?

Yoshiyuki: Me? I was getting ready to go home. Then I heard a singing voice and wondered who it belonged to.

Nanaka: Wow, was I singing that loudly?

Yoshiyuki: No, you weren't. It was more like your voice carried through all the noise.

Nanaka: Hmm?

She tilted her head and looked at me as if she didn't understand what I said.

Her big eyes were sparkling with curiosity.

How could any man resist this smile?

Yoshiyuki: I guess I heard it because it was a pure and beautiful voice?

Nanaka: Really?

Yoshiyuki: Really. I was touched.

Nanaka: Hmmm.

She walked up to me while thinking about something.

Nanaka: Here.

Yoshiyuki: Huh?

What?

She held my hand tightly.

I felt a soft sensation in my hand.

It was so warm.

Her big, beautiful eyes looked at me from such a close distance that my heart started to pound.

Nanaka: ......... Thank you!

She shook my hand like crazy, and smiled from ear to ear.

Yoshiyuki: Uhh... What is this?

Nanaka: This is a handshake. A handshake to celebrate our meeting. Nice to meet you!

Nanaka bowed.

Yoshiyuki: Oh, nice to meet you too.

I bowed, too.

Then we looked at each other and laughed.

Nanaka: But this is the first time I've been praised like that at school.

Yoshiyuki: That can't be true.

Nanaka: I really mean it. Nobody has ever said that to me. You're the first one, Yoshiyuki-kun.

Nanaka nodded several times as she talked to me.

She had a well known rep for being a great singer, so I found that hard to believe.

Nanaka: It's hard for me to know if I'm a good singer or not.

Yoshiyuki: You are absolutely amazing. I bet you have perfect pitch. You didn't even miss a note.

I meant it.

How she took her breaths, how she started each phrase, everything was like a professional singer.

It was amazing that someone the same age as me could have such talent.

Nanaka: Oh, you're making me embarrassed.

Nanaka turned red and scratched her cheek.

Nanaka: But you must know quite a bit about singing to be able to notice those things.

Yoshiyuki: No, I don't know anything about singing, but... I used to play the guitar.

Nanaka: Wow, really? Huh? You said you used to... What about now?

Yoshiyuki: Oh, I still do. I taught myself so it's just for fun. I don't play in a band or anything.

Nanaka: Wow, that's great. Can you play me a song?

Yoshiyuki: Yeah, I guess. I can read music and play a little by ear, too.

Nanaka: Wow! That's awesome!

Nanaka looked at me in amazement, and nodded.

Yoshiyuki: No, it's really just for fun...

The more Nanaka praised me, the more embarrassed I got.

Nanaka: But-but-but... You look pretty cool too, don't you think?

She talked boldly.

I'd never been asked that question, and couldn't answer.

Nanaka: In addition to that, you can play the guitar. How cool is that?

Yoshiyuki: Cool? Just because I can play the guitar?

Nanaka: Sure. I can sing, but I can't play an instrument. I envy you.

Yoshiyuki: I think it's better to be a good singer. Ah, so that means it's even better if you can do both, huh?

Nanaka: Ahahaha, you may be right!

I think this is the first time I've ever seriously talked to someone about music.

Wataru and I have talked about it before, but we always ended up goofing around.

Oto-nee and Yume may have heard a song I was playing, but...

We never talked about music.

I was happy to be able to talk about music with Nanaka, although this was basically the first time we met.

Nanaka: Then do you know that song? The one you hear on TV commercials all the time lately... Which one, the phone advert? Umm...

Yoshiyuki: Ah, that's Orange Lunch's new song. The one that's a bit sad, right?

Nanaka: Yeah, that's it! That's a nice song, huh?

Yoshiyuki: I think their new album's coming out soon.

Nanaka: Really? Wow, maybe I should buy it. Oh, but my allowance has almost run out for the month. What am I going to do?

Yoshiyuki: Well, I'm planning to buy it, so I'll let you borrow it.

Nanaka: Really? For sure? You promised, okay?

Our conversation about music went on.

That was when the door to the music room opened.

Wataru: Oh?

Koko: Yoshiyuki?

Wataru and Koko came in.

They were followed by some other students.

Wataru: What're you doing here? I thought you already went home.

Yoshiyuki: I was going to, but then I heard Nanaka singing and followed her voice back here.

Nanaka: Ahahaha.

Koko: I see. You came early and already started practicing.

Nanaka: Yeah.

Yoshiyuki: You two are... Wait, are you friends?

Come to think of it, Koko had told me about Shirakawa Nanaka before.

Koko: Yeah, we're friends.

Nanaka: At least on the surface.

Koko: What?

Nanaka: I'm just kidding! We're friends! I love you, Koko!

Nanaka hugged Koko tightly.

Koko: S-Stop that, Nanaka.

Koko was having fun, despite putting up a fight.

It was different to see Koko being friendly with someone other than Anzu and Akane.

Nanaka: Tee-hee-hee. To be honest with you, Koko has told me a lot about you, Yoshiyuki-kun.

Yoshiyuki: Eh? Ah, now I get it.

I didn't stand out because of my misbehavior.

I felt relieved.

Koko: Awawa, what are you saying all of a sudden?

Nanaka: Koko talks about you all the time. I wonder why.

Koko: N-No, I don't.

Yoshiyuki: What are you talking about?

Koko: N-Nothing really. I only talk how stupid you are and stuff like that.

Yoshiyuki: Is that how I am?

Wataru: Okay, okay, everyone else, why don't you start practice?

On Wataru's cue, the other students started getting their instruments out.

Wataru was getting something ready, too.

Yoshiyuki: What are you starting now?

Wataru: You know I belong to the light music club, right? I'm here for practice.

Yoshiyuki: Huh? You do? Then Koko's also-?

Koko: You really don't listen to a word anyone else says, do you? I told you that a long time ago.

Yoshiyuki: Huh...

I see. I guess it wasn't that she just liked music.

I kind of remembered hearing that when we went to karaoke before.

Koko: You never remember anything you aren't interested in. I don't even remember how many times I've told you that I belong to the light music club...

Oh boy... Sorry about that.

I just laughed.

Wataru: Usually the brass band practice here, but since the event's coming up soon, we borrowed this room.

Yoshiyuki: Oh, are you doing something at the Christmas party?

Wataru: We aren't, but some of the others are.

Yoshiyuki: I see.

I wonder why.

Knowing how much Wataru loves parties, I thought he would be the first in line to participate in the light music club's event.

Koko: And Nanaka agreed to join us.

Nanaka: Yeah, only when I have time, though.

Yoshiyuki: Hmm.

That's why she was singing.

Eh?

That would mean Nanaka doesn't actually belong to the club, even though she's a great singer.

Nanaka: Anyway, you're all late.

Koko: Sorry about that. We had to talk to the brass band.

Nanaka: I see, I guess that couldn't be helped, then. But I have to get going, though.

Koko: Oh, I see.

Nanaka: Maybe I'll go home with Yoshiyuki-kun today.

Yoshiyuki: Huh?

Koko: What?

Nanaka looked at me with a meaningful smile.

She looked at me with her big eyes, as if she was toying with me.

In that way, Nanaka reminded me of a mischievous kitten.

Yoshiyuki: Well...

While I was wondering how to respond to her, the door opened again.

Male Student: .........

Female Student: .........

What?

Several unfamiliar students looked around the music room.

They didn't seem to belong to the light music club.

Nanaka: Ah, this isn't good.

Yoshiyuki: Eh?

Nanaka hid behind me as she said that.

Yoshiyuki: What is it?

Nanaka: Shhhh.

Male Student: I found Shirakawa-san.

Nanaka: Oh, man!

Nanaka jumped in surprise, and dragged me by the arm.

Yoshiyuki: W-What, what is it?

Nanaka: There you have it, Koko, I'm going home!

Koko: Eh? W-Wait, Nanaka.

Nanaka: If I wait, I'll be caught. Let's go, Yoshiyuki-kun!

As Nanaka spoke, she pulled my arm and started to run.

And then she ran through the crowd of unfamiliar students who tried to block her way, using me as a shield.

Yoshiyuki: What's going on?

Nanaka: Tee-hee-hee.

When we got out to the hallway, there were more unfamiliar students trying to block us with their arms wide open.

Who are those people?

Nanaka: Yoshiyuki-kun, over here!

Yoshiyuki: Uwah!

I almost tripped because she yanked my arm so hard.

I understood she didn't want to get caught by them, but...

Nanaka: Yoshiyuki-kun, you're so slow!

She was having fun.

She was running with an innocent smile as though she was a mischievous child being chased by an adult.

Nanaka: Come on, what are you doing? This way!

Yoshiyuki: Wait a minute... Th-That's a dead end!

Nanaka: There's a window!

Yoshiyuki: What? Waaaaaaaah!

Nanaka: Hurry, hurry!

W-Wait a minute!

Nanaka, I can see your... P-Panties!

Nanaka: Hee, hee, hee, hee. Okay, I'll hold your hand!

Nanaka thought I couldn't jump out of the window, so she reached out to me.

She was on the window frame with a smile.

She didn't realize I could see her panties.

Shit! This is bad!

I couldn't concentrate on anything besides her panties!

I'm just a normal guy!

Nanaka: What are you doing? Hurry up!

Yoshiyuki: Y-Yeah.

Male Student: I found Shirakawa-san in the north hallway!

I turned around to locate the voice...

The student who was following Nanaka came towards us while talking on a walkie-talkie.

Yoshiyuki: Uwaaah!

Nanaka: Hurry!

Nanaka pulled me by my hand without warning.

My body flew out the window.

Yoshiyuki: Uwahh!

Nanaka: Kyaa!

Yoshiyuki: Mmph.

...

My face was touching something soft.

What is this?

I smelled something very sweet too...

Nanaka: Excuse me, Yoshiyuki-kun...

Yoshiyuki: Eh?

I heard Nanaka's voice above my head.

I looked up in a hurry.

Nanaka: Well, even I'm a bit embarrassed...

Yoshiyuki: Eh, waah!

I was on top of Nanaka.

My face was buried... in Nanaka's chest?

Yoshiyuki: S-Sorry! I-I really am!

I got up in a hurry.

Nanaka: You're so naughty, Yoshiyuki-kun.

Yoshiyuki: Eh... A-Ah... I... Ah.

I tried to come up with an excuse, but I couldn't think of anything.

Ah! I still remembered the sensation of her chest on my face and it makes me want to smile.

I shook my hands to shake off my sweat.

Nanaka: Ahahaha. You're funny, Yoshiyuki-kun.

Yoshiyuki: Eh... Eh?

Nanaka eyed me with a slightly troubled smile, as if enjoying my reaction.

She didn't seem to be angry about my face touching her chest.

Ahhh, but...

What am I supposed to do?

I didn't know why, but I couldn't get myself in gear.

Male Student: I found Shirakawa-san in a bush by the north building.

Ah, there's another pursuer.

Nanaka: Boy, they're persistent!

Nanaka said, gleefully, and then grabbed my hand again.

Nanaka: Let's go, Yoshiyuki-kun!

Yoshiyuki: Eh, wah!

Again, Nanaka ran while dragging me by the hand.

Nanaka ran lightly like a rabbit, but I, on the other hand, stumbled and almost fell on my face.

But we were both smiling.

Nanaka: Hurry! Over here, over here!

Yoshiyuki: Hah, hah! What is going on?

Nanaka: Ahahaha!

Nanaka's hand was so warm as I held it in mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment